The addition of S&S titanium couplers allows simple breakdown of bike for airline or other types of travel where normal bike carriers do not work. Long touring design offers comfort, excellent handling, and titanium durability ready for heavy, loaded touring. Be advised that we build the Traveler model with cable STOPS for brakes vs housing SADDLES on the standard Backroad. This is specifically designed to accommodate the cable splitters from S&S Machine works allowing you to break apart in all aspects your whole bike for packing purposes. If for some reason you prefer saddles and plan to use hydraulic brakes with your Backroad Traveler, please make us aware of that at the time you place your order and of course we will comply with your wishes.
The Lynskey Backroad Touring Frame is designed for fully loaded, self-supported, transcontinental touring and takes full advantage of current component innovation. There are several very important considerations in choosing your touring bike, and the backroad addresses these very well.
LOAD CARRYING CAPACITY
- Utilizing a 3Al-2.5V titanium tubeset, the Backroad is the strongest touring frame available.
- There is no weight limit on the frameset. It will handle as much weight as you care to put on it.
- The Backroad is fully outfitted with rack and fender mounts and 3 water bottle mounts.
- Recommended Fender: Planet Bike Cascadia Road Black Fenders (45mm wide)
- The Backroad employs disc brakes, a feature not found on most touring frames.
- Disc brakes provide the best stopping power of any brake system
- Disc brakes are extremely low maintenance
- They are not significantly affected by water or mud and grime
- You do not have to be as concerned about overheating on long descents
- The Backroad is one of the most stable touring frames available. You will not have any shimmy or high speed wobble due to frame flex.
- The frame is built using 3Al-2.5V oversized titanium tubing
- A massive 1.75 inch (44.5mm) downtube and 1.375 inch (35mm) toptube provide excellent torsional rigidity.
HANDLING AND STEERING
- Steering is precise and unwavering
- Front end stability is enhanced by an oversized headtube for the new 44mm headset bearing systems. This is also a feature you’ll not find on most other touring specific designs. This bearing system uses larger bearings which handle bigger loads and require less maintenance
- The oversized headtube also allows the use of tapered steerer tubes.
- NEW FOR 2015, The Backroad has been re-designed for greater tire clearance (up to 45c) AND now accept road or mtn double front chain ring gearing
- 135mm rear spacing allows stronger wheel build
- The Lynskey Backroad is the most durable and reliable touring frame you will find
- Titanium provides the best combination of strength, durability, and weight as compared to steel, aluminum, or carbon fiber
- Titanium will never rust or corrode and needs no paint for protection
- Scratches and dings will not affect the safety and durability of the frame
"I received my Lynskey Backroad tour bike with the Lynskey build package and wheels shown on the Lynskey website. What a bike! The YouTube video I watched said load it up with whatever you’re strong enough to carry and go down the road. Now that I have the bike, I’m certain that it’s up to the task. I still own and love a classic early 80’s touring bike. Its been from the 80’s until now that someone - Lynskey – has finally made a bike that exceeds the abilities of those classic touring frames from yesteryear. With the frame’s strength and titanium construction, it’s a bike for life. Thanks to all of the people at Lynskey for a great product and truth in advertising."-Jim
Photo of Tony Tsai's Backroad Traveler, shot taken at the National Taiwan University campus.
||5'1" - 5'4"
||5'3" - 5'6"
||5'5" - 5'9"
||5'8" - 6'0"
||5'11" - 6'3"
||6'2" - 6'4"
|Seat Tube Length (A)
|Top Tube Length Effective (B)
|Head Tube Angle (C)
|Seat Tube Angle (D)
|Bottom Bracket Drop (E)
|Chain Stay Length (F)
|Head Tube Length (G)
|Fork Rake (H)
|Stand Over Height (I)
|Front Center (L)
* All dimensions in centimeters or degress unless otherwise noted.